08 May, 2012
Top 10 Tips For Communicating Effectively – Ann Skidmore
Establishing and developing effective communication is vital. In order to be heard and change your environment according to your own thoughts you not only need to be heard, but more importantly, understood.
No one will guess what you want or what you think if you don’t tell them, and nothing is going to change if you do not propose a change.
So here are my Top 10 Tips to help you Communicate Effectively
‘Let thy speak be short, comprehending much in few words’
1. Develop a clear and concise style of communications — on paper, on the telephone, and in person.
2. Take the time to plan what you want to communicate, and know your objectives.
3. Identify the key issues, order your points logically, and discard irrelevances.
4. Time your telephone calls—try to complete each call within three minutes.
5. Set aside a period of the day for making telephone calls — another for writing emails.
6. In a meeting, give the other person your full attention, but avoid small talk and get to the point quickly.
7. Try to meet in the other person’s office — then you can decide when to leave.
8. Develop techniques to manage interruptions — set a time limit, remain standing, have a clock in your office. Use them appropriately.
9. Use your secretary or assistant to screen potential interruptions.
10. Beware of welcoming interruptions as an excuse to put off unpleasant chores.